CanadaOntario golf club reopens after five sent to hospital for minor lung burns from noxious gas

Olivia Blackmore, Postmedia Network

, Last Updated: 7:39 PM ET

The Ontario Ministry of Labour has begun an investigation into a chemical mishap on Friday night at Amberwood Village Golf and Country Club sent five to hospital.

The five, ranging in age from 17 to 39, were taken to hospital as a precautionary measure for treatment of respiratory inflammation after breathing the fumes that resulted from the accidental mixing of chlorine and an unspecified chemical in the area of the Stittsville golf courses pool.

The injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Eight other people were treated by paramedics at the scene.

It was a localized chemical reaction that resulted in fumes and prompted an evacuation from the building, said a statement by the golf course on Twitter.

Emergency crews verified the buildings ventilation system to make sure it was working properly.

In an email Saturday, Amberwood general manager Pierre Mondor said the club would not be commenting on the cause of the incident, as it is under investigation by the provincial ministry of labour.

The club was back in business on Saturday morning.